Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hunting Bigfoot: The Journey Begins

Before I begin discussing the search for an allegedly extant bipedal primate in the forests of my adoptive home of Washington, I want to make one thing clear: I am a skeptic when it comes to bigfoot. Hell, I'm a skeptic when it comes to anything for which their is scant or no evidence. The existence of the "paranormal" would indeed be interesting, but I, like many others, need some hard evidence to back up the host of paranormal claims out there.

With that said, I have had an interest in the cultural phenomenon known as bigfoot since I was child. It's that interest and a recent assignment at work that have lead me to write this post.

Point Roberts Press, the publishers of The Northern Light, also puts out a quarterly publication called Mount Baker Experience, which covers outdoor-type activities in the Mt. Baker foothills area. Our Winter 2011 issue is coming up, and I pitched the loosely formed idea of writing an article about bigfoot hunting in the foothills area.

The point of this post and subsequent ones is to keep the audience of this blog, if there is one, updated on the status of this particular story.  I am doing this for the bigfoot article because the topic and those intent on finding the creature are of particular interest to me. So, without further ado, here's what I've done so far.

My search first brought me to BigfootForums.com, an online forum where all manner of bigfoot-interested folk can come and discuss sightings of the creature all across the U.S. and dish on investigative techniques and equipment. My first cursory perusing of this site turned up pretty much what I expected: people who genuinely believe something is out there and have devoted varying sections of there lives to finding out what it is.

From this site I became aware of a book published in 1995 called "Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the dark Divide," which is about a rather well-known encounter with a group of alleged bigfoots (bigfeet?) near Mt. St. Helens in the early 1900s. At least it seems to be, I have yet to read it. The author, Robert Michael Pyle, still lives in Washington and runs The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation. I sent an e-mail to the group's e-mail address asking for contacts for any bigfoot "investigators" in the Mt. Baker area. I have yet to see a reply.

Further investigation of the Bigfoot Forums lead me to the Washington Sasquatch Research Team based in the Mt. Rainier area. I e-mailed Steve Schauer, one of the founding Steves of the WSRT, about research and sightings in the Mt. Baker area. He said he did not know of any groups poking around on Mt. Baker and that his group sticks to Mt. Rainier.

Long story short, I have not made much headway for this story. Hopefully the weeks to come will provide me with some usable leads.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog and topic. Looking forward to the article...no pressure.

    ReplyDelete